What To Look For When Choosing Carpets
What should you look for when choosing your carpet? What are the best carpets, what are they made from, and what carpet is best for your budget? From luxury comfort underfoot to cost-conscious wool carpets, here we reveal everything you need to know to choose the right carpet!
Carpet Types Explained
Before we explore carpet budgets, let us first explore carpet types and carpet fibres.
Carpets can be man-made (such as nylon), organic (wool, for example) or a hybrid mix of synthetic & organic materials. There are 5 main compositions of carpets: Wool, nylon (also known as polyamide), polyester, polypropylene and then there is the modified mix. A mix that combines the performance characteristics of polyester, nylon, polypropylene or wool together for durability and stain resistance.
The majority of UK carpets produced today are tufted. It’s the manufacture and finish that defines a tufted carpet – textured with loops, weaves or twists, they are stuck to a secondary backing for extra strength and stability. Tufted carpet substyles include Twists, Berbers, looped piles, flatweaves, saxonies, shag-piles and also short-dense pile velvets.
There are two main types of carpet in the UK – tufted and woven. Tufted are the most widespread composition, whereas woven are the more exclusive and expensive.
Woven carpets are upmarket, luxury-feel carpets with fibres woven into the backing to create a softer, more velvet-like finish. Woven carpet styles include Axminster, Wilton and flat weaves. The style leader in woven British-made carpets is Axminster Carpets.
The best stainproof carpets contain polypropylene or nylon. Polypropylene carpets are so stain-resistant that you can bleach-clean them. See more about stainproof carpets in our blog about The Best Stainproof Carpets.
Now we understand the compositions and styles of carpets, let us examine the brands for every budget!
The Top 3 Budget Carpets
The Most Affordable Carpets
FloorLove Budget Wool Carpets
- Budget wool carpets that are super soft
- British-made carpets
- Loop pile and cut pile wool tufted carpets
Furlong Flooring Elegant Twist Carpet
- Bleach-cleanable polypropylene carpet
- British-made carpets with something for every budget
- 10-year guaranteed tufted carpets
- Long-lasting budget carpets, guaranteed for 15 years
- European-made carpets
- Wool, bamboo, nylon and polypropylene tufted carpets.
Mid-Range Priced Carpets
The Most Popular Carpets UK
- Luxury wool carpets for every budget
- British-made carpets in flamboyant patterns or soft neutrals
- Wool and wool-mix wool tufted carpets
- British-made stainless carpets
- Tufted wool, polypropylene and polyester super-soft carpets
- Cavalier follows the mantra, “there is no such thing as a plain carpet”
- Yorkshire-made carpets with a Roal Warrant.
- NaturBorn, Luxuria and EasiCare ranges
- Woven, tufted and Axminster carpet collections.
High-End Luxury Carpets
The Most Exclusive Carpets
- Sustainable luxury wool carpets
- Handwoven flat-weave carpets
- Sustainable carpets for eco-focused homeowners
- Premium innovative UK-leaders in woven Axminster and Wilton carpets
- The softest and most stylish carpet collections
- UK-made luxury carpets
- Britain’s oldest and most prestigious carpet brand
- Bouncey, warm, extravagant and finely crafted woven carpets
- Longlasting British pile-yarn wool carpets
Modern Patterned Carpets
The Most Fun Carpets For Your Home
If style is your main objective, then one brand you should pop on your radar is Alternative Flooring!
- Quirky and extrovert carpet styles that make every room pop!
- Trend-setting carpets for fun homes
- UK-made tufted and woven carpet collections
In Conclusion, What’s The Best Carpet For My Budget?
When it comes to your carpet, the best advice we can give you is to go to a carpet shop, like ours in Yorkshire, and feel them for yourself. Whether you choose the optimum luxury carpets with a woven collection or a more affordable tufted carpet, the look and feel underfoot matters – something you can only define with your senses.